ILLINOIS ASSOCIATION OF SCHOOL BUSINESS OFFICIALS
Rules for Member-Only Online Communities
Social Media Sites
Last Updated: September 11, 2023
Illinois Association of School Business Officials (“Illinois ASBO”) provides member-only online communities including peer2peer, its learning management system and Illinois ASBO’s various social media sites (together, the “Illinois ASBO community”) to give members valuable modes of communication and the means by which to solicit the advice of your peers, share experiences, and participate in ongoing conversations. We must all do our part to secure the future of the Illinois ASBO community by following these rules governing the use of the Illinois ASBO online communities (including peer2peer) and social media sites (the “Rules”).
The Illinois ASBO community is provided and supported by Illinois ASBO to provide a forum for the exchange of information exclusively related to the school business management profession. Your adherence to these Rules will ensure respectful and productive dialogue and the future of the Illinois ASBO community for all members.
By joining and participating in the Illinois ASBO community, you agree that you have read and agree to the following:
Rules of Conduct
- DO use the Illinois ASBO community to discuss issues related to school business management.
- DO use caution when discussing or reviewing products, services or pricing. Your posted comments are subject to defamation and antitrust laws.
- DO use your registered email address when posting or otherwise communicating on the Illinois ASBO community.
- DON’T blindly rely on opinions expressed or responses posted on the Illinois ASBO community. Such information should not be considered professional or legal advice. Always use your own professional judgement on all matters.
- DON’T post messages, ask questions or solicit information that could be construed as an attempt to fix prices, set salaries or compensation, establish profit margins, restrain trade or affect terms or conditions of trade.
- Messages that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are inappropriate: prices, discounts or terms or conditions of sale; salaries, reimbursement rates or other compensation matters; profits, profit margins or cost data; boycotts of companies, suppliers or vendors; market shares, sales territories or markets; allocation of customers or territories; or selection, rejection or termination of customers, vendors or suppliers.
- DON’T discuss issues, matters or cases involved in or related to anticipated, threatened or actual litigation.
- DON’T post any reports, pictures, drawings, photographs, videos, articles or other materials unless you own the copyright or have received permission from the copyright owner (i.e., your employer or other relevant party). By posting such materials you are granting Illinois ASBO and the users of the Illinois ASBO community the unrestricted, irrevocable, transferable, royalty-free, nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print and use such materials any way that may see fit including, without limitation, for commercial, advertising and other purposes. Other participants have the right to reproduce posts and materials, to make derivative works therefrom and to incorporate such posts and materials into other works.
- DON’T use the Illinois ASBO community to circulate unsolicited messages, chain letters or to conduct surveys of any kind.
- DON’T use the Illinois ASBO community to post job openings, promote any product or service or to distribute commercial messages of any kind.
- DON’T advertise or post links to products, projects or causes you own or represent or ask another user to do so on your behalf. If you wish to share information about useful products, companies or services with which you have no affiliation, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DON’T post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you. Posts are not confidential and could be disseminated by other participants. Be aware that journalists and other members of the media may also be a part of the Illinois ASBO community.
- DON’T use the Illinois ASBO community to support or oppose political candidates or activity, or to otherwise promote any activity contrary to the purposes of Illinois ASBO.
- DON’T use the Illinois ASBO community for any purpose that may be illegal. For example, the Illinois ASBO community may not be used to solicit or disseminate information having to do with, or to conduct any activity relating to, illegal drugs, pornography, gambling, spreading computer viruses, software infringement or other crimes.
- DON’T use the Illinois ASBO community in a manner that violates applicable federal, state or local laws, the Illinois ASBO bylaws, Illinois ASBO antitrust policy or any of Illinois ASBO’s other policies, procedures, rules or regulations.
- DON’T post any defamatory, discriminatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive or illegal comments or materials.
- DON’T challenge, bully or attack others. Comments should only stimulate conversation, not create contention.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, company/school name or affiliation, location and email address to facilitate responses.
- State concisely and clearly the topic of your comments in the subject line. That allows members to respond more appropriately and makes it easier to search the archives by subject.
- Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply. Delete any header information and put your response before the original posting.
- Only send a message to the entire list using “Reply All” when it contains information of benefit to everyone.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using the "Reply to Sender" link adjacent to every message.
- Notify fellow Illinois ASBO community participants of lengthy messages either in the subject line or in the beginning of the message body, with the phrase, “Long Message” or similar.
- Send attachments to the entire group upon request.
- Use the “LIKE” button on your Illinois ASBO community page to convey interest in the information requested from the Illinois ASBO community. Illinois ASBO will use this feedback to track subjects suitable for development as trainings, webinars, or other initiatives.
Illinois ASBO reserves the right to (i) remove any posting for any reason; and to (ii) suspend or terminate access to the Illinois ASBO community for anyone who violates the Rules. If you have questions about the Rules, please contact email@example.com.
- All users must respect the privacy rights of others. The disclosure by any member of third-party personal information (e.g., addresses, telephone numbers) is prohibited.
- Access to certain aspects of the Illinois ASBO community, including peer2peer, is restricted and designated for the exclusive use of Illinois ASBO members and other authorized users. Users are responsible for maintaining the privacy of their account information and must not share personal account information or otherwise allow use of or access to those restricted sections of the Illinois ASBO community by non-members or other unauthorized parties.
Illinois ASBO provides the Illinois ASBO community as a service for its members and other authorized users. The views expressed on any Illinois ASBO community site are those of the individual users. They do not and should not be construed as representing the views of Illinois ASBO. Illinois ASBO is not responsible for the opinions or information posted on any Illinois ASBO community site by others. We disclaim all warranties with regard to information posted on any Illinois ASBO community sites, whether posted by Illinois ASBO or any third party or user; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event will Illinois ASBO be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from the use or reliance on information posted on any Illinois ASBO community site, or loss of use, data or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted.
Illinois ASBO disclaims any responsibility to maintain copies of any information posted on Illinois ASBO community sites or to assure that such information is deleted. Unless specifically stated otherwise, Illinois ASBO neither endorses, approves, recommends or certifies any information, product, process, service or organization presented or mentioned on any Illinois ASBO community site, and information from any Illinois ASBO community site should not be referenced in any way to imply such approval or endorsement.
Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, you warrant and represent that you own the copyright with respect to such material or have received permission from the copyright owner.
While Illinois ASBO does not actively monitor all Illinois ASBO community sites for inappropriate posts and does not undertake editorial control of postings, Illinois ASBO retains the right to do so. In the event that any inappropriate post is brought to the attention of Illinois ASBO, it will take all appropriate action including, without limitation, the removal of posts, information or other materials that Illinois ASBO believes do not comply with the terms of these Rules or that are not in the best interests of Illinois ASBO or its related entities.
Illinois ASBO reserves the right to (i) terminate access to the Illinois ASBO community for any user who does not abide by these Rules; and (ii) exercise its discretion to modify or otherwise revise these Rules from time to time, upon issuing timely notice to members and other authorized users of any changes.